As of today Monday 3/3 I started this program through MGH called Be Fit. Its a 10-week program focused on helping participants, "Be Fit, Eat Right and Live Healthy." I'm on a team of about 25 people and we compete with 5 other team for different 'awards' (which are just bragging rights) in these categories:-most food logs submitted-most steps taken (have to wear a pedometer)-most exercise points earned- highest percentage of weight loss for the team.
Each participant signs a letter pledging to attend a 30-minute group meeting, team weigh-in and group rally on a weekly basis. Additional commitments include following healthy eating habits outlined in the group meetings and performing no less than 30 minutes of moderate physical activity 5 days per week. To help reinforce the commitment, participants are given passes to the health club and a complimentary Be Fit meal from the cafeteria each week. (and free personal training and meetings w/ nutritionists).
They do an assessment at the beginning and end of the 10 weeks:-height, weight, body fat, BMI, blood pressure, resting heart rate, waist and hip measurements, and blood work for Cholesterol, Glucose, and C-Reactive Protein.
I'm really excited about it. Before I started dating Dan I was faithful about going the the gym and I absolutely loved it. Since then I've let other things take over the priority spots in my life but I'm ready now to lose this extra weight I've gained and start feeling healthier. I think the group mentality and competitive aspect of this will really help me get there. Its great too that I've got 2 other people in my immediate office area doing it so we'll keep eachother motivated. Plus the trainer assigned to our team is Steve, who I worked with a few years ago when Waveney trained with him. He's the best trainer at the gym, so we definitely lucked out.
First Week of Be Fit Observations:
- Eating healthy has been easier than I thought, though I am still feeling hungry and finding myself needing a healthy snack between meals.
- 40 minutes on the elliptical was tough (on Wednesday). I was shaky afterwards… but on the upside, that was the first and only time all week that I got shaky
- My first training session with Steve on Thursday went well. I did squats for the first time in my life (and paid for it for the following 4 days). but it was worth it. I am so out of shape (not that that was a big surprise), but working on it feels good.
- I did the wall stretch on Friday for the first time since my dancing days and I am completely inflexible!! Ouch. Definitely something to work on.
- I walk much further each weekday than I thought- around 10,000 steps.
- I walk much less on the weekends than I thought, and I am much more inclined to eat junk on the weekend, so going to the gym is going to be a necessity to keep the momentum going over the weekend.
- I am trying to take the stairs up and down (office on the 6th floor). Going up all 6 is still tough.
- My cholesterol is higher than I expected. Eating healthier should bring that down.
- I feel less bloated and/or stuffed after lunch which feels great.
Today is our first weigh-in since the initial one! Let's hope this hard work has been paying off!
ETA: Well I lost .8lbs. Nothing to write home about but its a start. And not to make excuses but I'm also a bit skeptical only because the first time we weighed in it was first thing in the morning. Today it was after breakfast and lunch (and drinking water all day). Oh well. Either way, I'm starting to feel better so I know I'm on the right track :)
No comments:
Post a Comment