After the commuting woes of the work week, Saturday morning was ready to greet me and treat me to a little extra happiness. I awoke around 8am and cuddled with Dan for a little bit before easing out of the most comfortable bed ever created. I ate my cereal, banana and juice with my feet up on the recliner catching up on the week’s events and then nuzzling with Stinger before putting her outside. It was a beautiful morning still cool but sunny. I sat on the front steps still in my nightgown, finishing my banana and breathing the fresh air. Stinger ran off to play and I walked towards the woods to our unofficial compost bin (nature’s best). As I looked to my left I saw a huge, gorgeous doe staring at me, not moving a muscle. Just watching me as intently as I was watching her. She was so peaceful and calm, not in any hurry to jet off. In fact, it wasn’t until I continued my slow walk towards the woods about a minute later that she finally dashed away.
I came back inside excited to start the day. After all the commotion of moving and the ins and outs, the house needed a good cleaning. I swept the floors, cleaned the counters, the stove and the fridge- and then it was time for the exciting part- making my own cleaners for the first time. I've been taking baby steps in this whole green process and after at least a month of hemming and hawing i finally bought this kit. The bottles have fill-lines that make it easy to mix. You supply baking soda, vinegar, water and olive oil and they give you the rest. I used the all-purpose cleaner in the fridge and the bathroom and it worked great (and smelled great too).
[eco tip of the day: use vinegar to clean the toilet. pour it in (about a half cup) let it sit for about 10 minutes. spritz in your all-purpose cleaner, scrub-a-dub-dub and flush. say goodbye to odors!!!]
Ater cleaning, I showered and set out to Holly Hill Farm on Jeruselem Road in Cohasset (I scoped it out on fri and got lost! oops). A local, organic farm just a few minutes away? Yes, it was definitely on list of places to visit. I arrived shortly after they open at 11am hoping to get a good selection. As it turns out, their regular customers all seem to arrive slightly before 11a, so I missed out on some snap peas and blueberries I spied in other shoppers' bags.
I browsed through the flowers and herbs, picked out some fresh salad greens, zucchini and summer squash and a cucumber, chatted with the kind lady in the flower shop part of the barn, and eventually made my way to the cashier. He put my veggies on an old-fashioned scale, got the approximate weight and added the prices aloud until he arrived at my total. I hanged him my cash and we exchanged pleasantries before I headed out into the sunny yard (to peek at the chickens before I headed home). There were kids and moms putting on their helmets, ready to ride their bikes home, children chasing the farm dogs around the yard, adults talking about their own gardens, new recipes and summer plans. Needless to say, Holly Hill Farms is one of my new favorite places. Locally grown organic food, friendly faces and a real community of people with common interests and ideals.
I drove away happier with the course of events in my life that brought me to this place, to this day. I wound slowly through the winding streets, car on battery as I slowerd to let bikers wind their way through town. No one in any particular rush to move beyond the trees, the ocean, the sand that ambled by us........ and what's better- I didn't get lost on the way home! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment