Another Adventure in Babysitting
This one on Tuesday June 15th
It was the perfect sort of afternoon. Warm temperatures but little humidity and no sick children. This means we could play outside. Or, as we decided, go for a walk. Willy wanted to walk, not ride in the stroller, and decided to push his lawn mower while I pushed his sister in the stroller.
This cute little lawn mower is soo loud and even moreso when trying to "mow" the asphalt instead of the grass. Willy would ask me a question, talking over the mower and of course I couldn't hear him... when I'd respond, usually with a "I have no idea what you're saying buddy" he couldn't hear me either and would stop pushing it long enough to say "HUH?!" I tried to explain that I couldn't hear him just like he couldn't hear me... but I'm not sure if that ever really translated for him ;)
Aila, meanwhile, busied herself in the carriage. Not complaining even when we stopped for 5 or 10 minutes at a time when Willy became fascinated with the storm drains.
I love how curious this little boy is. He wanted to know what their function was [that I could answer], how deep are they [got me there kiddo], how come some have water in them and not others [did my best with that one]... and I'm sure there were a few other questions in there.Mostly he was content to sit there quietly, dropping sticks through the grate and listening for how long it would be until the stick hit the water below.


The funniest part of our little trip happened when we were just around the corner from their house. Willy saw this pimped out truck and stopped dead in his tracks!
Will [pointing at the truck]: Wooooooooow!
Me: You like that?
Me: You like that?
Will: Yes! What do you think?
Me [staring back at the truck incredulously]: "Umm.. its kinda.. funky."
Will [puzzled]: "Funky???"
Me: "Yeah. Funky."
Will [suddenly pointing to the truck and pursing up his lips]: "Auntie Jen, when I turn 16 I'm gonna drive that truck."
Me [Literally doubled over with laughter on the street unable to speak. When I catch my breath]: "Oh yeah? How do you know that you can drive when you're 16?"
Will: "Daddy told me."
Me: "And do you know how old you are right now?"
Will: "Yes. I'm 2"
And at the age of 2 he has no idea how long those 14 years are going to feel when he's already got that itch to be driving right now!...although knowing Uncle Dan and the go-kart he's been planning since Willy was conceived, I'm sure this car enthusiast will be driving some sort of vehicle in the next few years...
1 comment:
Love the story. And I also love the 2nd to last photo - the lighting is amazing and you captured so much of the story in that one shot.
Post a Comment