Monday, June 15, 2009

Countdown to Fresh, Local, Organic Produce

I am so amazingly excited about this (if you're not interested in my eco-nerddom you might want to skip this post). I mentioned before that I signed up for share in a local organic farm for the summer. It's one main farm with some support from other local farms in western MA, that has a drop off spot in Scituate (right near the library, my other new and nerdy hang out).

I just got the list of fruits, veggies and herbs that will be waiting for me on Wednesday 6/17.

Cucumbers
Hakurei Turnips
Summer Squash
Sweet Potatoes
Red Chard
Romaine Lettuce
Baby Bok Choi
Collards
Scallions
Lemon Balm
Chives
Strawberries

I am very much looking forward to tasting my old favorites in their new form (extremely fresh and completely pesticide free), and looking up recipes and uses for things I haven't tried before.

While some question how I can still be a vegetarian, I sometimes wonder "how can you not?" there are so many other great tasting things out there, that there really isn't any room left on the plate now is there? And while Dan contends, somewhat legitimately (given the menus of so many Americanized restaurants these days), that I barely eat anything- I'd say that the opposite is really true now. I eat so many more things that I simply didn't eat before because, let's face it, I didn't have to.

I can tell you honestly that before last September I would have turned my nose up to:

Hakurei Turnips, Red Chard, Baby Bok Choi, Collards, Scallions, Lemon Balm and Chives

Which, out of this list would have left me with: Cucumbers, Summer Squash, Sweet Potatoes & Strawberries.

And of course I probably won't like every new fruit or veggie I try, but I'm looking forward to the experience. If you have any recipes featuring these items, feel free to drop me a note!

1 comment:

amber said...

i am so jealous of your co-op. i am trying SO hard to get into one in this area and every year for the past 3 years they have been booked solid, REALLY early in the spring. i'm going to try in january this year!!!