I've been trying to reflect and write more on a daily basis. It is something I enjoy and it inspires me to do other creative things, but frankly, I stink at making time for it. So while this too may die off, I'm trying to make a conscious effort to find time for this in my day [train time is great for this]. This week I've been jotting down random thoughts, things that make me happy, tid-bits of life that inspire me, and more often than not- things that bring back great memories.
I am sure I won't post them in the order I think of them... especially since a few of them have already inspired me to take some cool photos to go along with them... So I guess I'm saying- be prepared for a lot more randomness in 2010.
Today's little tid-bit is this song: La Flaca by Jarabe de Palo
My friend Marta turned my friend Devon and I onto this song while we were visiting Marta in her hometown of Terrassa, Spain (think: Barcelona-- or click on the Terrassa link and see for yourself). Devon and I thought we were so amazingly cool for being able to spend 2+ weeks (for Devon) and 3+ weeks (for me) in Barcelona. Soaking up the culture. Meeting Marta's friends, seeing their bands play. Eating new food. Seeing the sights. It was all great.
But to this day, one of the things I remember most is loving La Flaca. It was a newer song at the time (Summer of 1998). And Marta agreed to teach us all of the words in Catalan (similar to Spanish- sorta but not really). It was not easy- though Devon picked it up faster than I did.
Wherever we went it seemed like we were always working on learning the next line. I remember being in a crowd thousands deep waiting for one of the big parades or street performances (like the human pyramids) at a local Festa Major, sitting on the grass and singing phrase by phrase, line by line until we had it down pat.
Marta had a hard time translating every word... but we understood the gist of it... not that it was the meaning of the song that interested us anyways... I did look this up today because I was thinking of it and if you're curious here's a link to the Translation.
I bought the Jarabe de palo CD containing La Flaca before I left the country and its been played in every car and CD player I've owned since then. It came with me to college where it was blared through the hallways of Leo Hall, Midrise and the Old Townhouses, and out the windows of my Oldsmobile as we tooled around Poughkeepsie, for yes, my college roommates too loved La Flaca. In fact I'm willing to bet the Laura and Amber have La Flaca on their ipod (or at least in their itunes) right this very moment.
And even now, 12 years later La Flaca is one of my favorite songs. It brings back a flood of wonderful memories of meeting new Spanish friends, attending Marta's many 18th birthday parties, going to her theater rehearsals and singing and dancing through the streets, visiting the Escamilla's summer home in Rosamar.... so many wonderful happenings. Music is definitely a powerful thing- and so is friendship!
These days Marta still lives in Spain and we do our best to email every few weeks. And we catch up on Facebook- where we had the happy chance to get to chat "live" a few weeks ago! So exciting!! And Devon lives in New York, creating wonderful recipes and blogging about her two favorite things- travel and eating (I mean cooking *wink wink). And we find ways to connect with eachother in this cyber world- for which I am ever more grateful every day!
And thus ends my La Flaca story. Click on the link. Check out the song. Its catchy ;)
Marta and Devon-- if you have any other recollections of these crazy days, lord knows everyone's memory is better than mine, please email me and I'll happily add to this little rambling.
Thanks for the memories girls (and Jarabe)!
5 comments:
Jen, I was just about to finish my comments for the day when I saw the title of this post. Every few weeks or so this song comes to mind and I think of us in Spain wailing in the back of Marta's mother's car. I lost my CD and it hurts. It's awesome to hear that the song has the same affect on you!
Devon- they actually have that album on itunes!! :) I think you definitely need to down La Flaca at a bare minimum- and Grita is another one of my favorites!
SO many great memories of that trip! Your saying that about the car reminds me how little cushions those cars had-- and our trip to that GIANT grocery store... and how they don't put basil in Tomato Sauce! lol!! You were outraged! :)
Giiiiiiiiiiirls YOU HAVE TO COME BACK!!!
remember when we went to that Park with the lake? and that boat... something was wrong with Devon's or my mom's bag...but we didn't realized it untill we saw the video at home!!
we couldn't stop laughing!!!!
Love you lots
I forgot about that paddle boat! LOL!!!!!! It was in front of the building that was the building for that Soap Opera right?
that would be a very safe bet. It is definitely on my iPod... on many of my playlists... and listened to often!
Post a Comment