I love winter. Yes I realize that sounds crazy, but I grew up in New England so I guess I can claim insanity or use the lame excuse that I just don't know any better. Either way, winter here is beautiful. Or more specifically the snow is beautiful
{frigid cold temperatures without any snow to enhance the atmosphere doesn't have any place in my idyllic New England winter memory}

The fact that we have a plow that Dan alone can operate means that snow is gorgeous and yet there is no back-breaking work for me. So again, really, what's not to love? Finally, living here, in the middle of nature's playground makes it even more incredible. Usually snow means slushy sidewalks and parking lots with mile-high mounds of dirt and saltiness. But not here. Snow covered tree-limbs and our long winding driveway that doesn't even look like a driveway when its caked in glittery icing is just amazing.

When we got a big storm new year's weekend and I had an extra day off, I made a point to go outside and enjoy it. I wasn't feeling all that great, but fresh air is always good, right? I was warm and geared up in my massive, black knee-high snow boots. Camera in hand, and earbuds in my ears, I was read for some laps up and down the driveway. I went up and back once, then decided to take some pictures. Every limb was just caked with snow and the sun was just beautiful. I got a few shots and then I was mesmerized by these reeds.
I took a few photos but it was tough getting it to focus on what I wanted... I took one step closer and before I knew it, I was hip-high in snow... I had stepped off the driveway into the little stream that runs underneath. So much for my big snowy nature adventure. I think I need a little more practice.My leg was cold (above my boot), my cell phone was ringing, and my iPod was blaring...it was time to get focused. And quick. I put my camera back in its case and slide it across the driveway. Took the earbuds out and ignored the phone. Dug a hole in the snowpile at the edge of the driveway... and then boosted myself up onto {mostly} dry land. I think I literally laughed out loud at myself. This is SO something I would do. Why was I surprised?
As gung-ho as I was, that was the end of my adventure. I was soaked and freezing....
Wet pants, sore legs... adventure over.Better luck next time.

All in good fun!
2 comments:
Love the blog makeover - and while I agree the snow is lovely, you can keep it along with the cold.
Falling in that little river borders on a crisis. I had no idea you lived in such severe wilderness. You can take winter and all the slushy parking lots that go with it. I dream of Jamaica-like sunshine.
Post a Comment