Monday, May 10, 2010

30 Days Until I Turn 30

My Weekends.


Fridays...

On a typical Friday night Dan and I veg on the couch and catch up on the TV we've DVRed throughout the week. Sober House. How I Met Your Mother. The Office. The Marriage Ref. 30 Rock. Sometimes I knit. Most months out of the year we're cuddled under the Winnie the Pooh comforter I got to go bring to college (even though my Mom thought I was nuts). That's still the most comfortable blanket I own, and despite the childhood cartoon characters, Dan seems awfully fond of it as well. Dinner is usually leftovers or something easy. Rarely take-out. Never going out. The days of eating at Reggio's with 12-15 of our friends have long passed. I miss those days sometimes but its also nice to just relax in pjs or sweats and not have to think or converse or do anything if we're simply not in the mood.


This Friday...


This Friday night, however, was far from ordinary. Dan and I went to the Red Sox/Yankees game with Mom and Dad. Dan hasn't been to Fenway since probably 2006! He's not a Sox fan and thinks the ticket is wasted on him, especially fantastic seats versus the Yankees, but he agreed to come, knowing (as usual) we'd have a blast with my parents.


Mom, Dad and I met at Jerry Remy's Sports Bar and Grill for dinner and drinks. Unfortunately Dan got stuck at work and couldn't make it in time to eat so we met him at the ballpark. Dinner was delicious- so were the loaded nachos we got as an appetizer. The prices were more than reasonable and the portions were huge! We could have easily split a meal and still had leftovers!

It was in the low 70's and a beautiful night for a ballgame. I never even ended up needing put on a long sleeved shirt! But even more impressive than the weather were our seats- Dad's company seats. Left Field Box seats, Row H. Only about 10-15 rows away from the field just to the left of the visitors dugout! Amazing. Dan and I were awestruck.



What was far less impressive was the Sox performance. Beckett hit 3 Yankee players in one inning. It was abysmal. Really lousy. But that's ok. We still had a great time. Bud Light. Smithwicks. Kettlecorn. Lots of laughs. Great photos. The best early birthday present I've ever gotten. {Thanks Mom & Dad! I love you!}


Saturdays

Saturday is usually my one day of the week to sleep in. If I sleep in on Sunday it throws me all off for the coming week and so I try to get out of bed at a reasonable hour. On Saturday I still only sleep til maybe 9a {crazy right?!} but it feels heavenly. Sometimes I do get my butt out of bed and get to Zumba at Terri's School of Dance... but mostly I don't. Sleeping is so worth it after a long week at work.

Saturday almost always starts the same way Friday ends- easing into the weekend with some mindless television. Later it usually means cleaning, walking, a little cooking, and errands or some other plans (usually the latter).


This Saturday...

Was much of the same. We were up by 9am I think... watching TV (The Marriage Ref was especially funny this week)... I made oatmeal and Dan made eggs and bacon. We usually have the same breakfast, but I wanted to get ahead on my cooking for the week.

Dan watched some more shows and I tuned out most of it, chatting on the internet with some of my girlfriends, catching up on Facebook and blogs while I uploaded some books on CD from the library [I put them on my ipod and listen to them on the T while I knit].


We joked about who was going to do the cleaning... the house was a mess. All too common these days since I'm not really home Tuesday (babysitting), Wednesday (Zumba) and Thursdays (photography class). I kept asking what Dan was going to clean- the floors? the toilet? the dishes? Finally he agreed to the kitchen "but that's it... that's all i'm doing!" and a minute later- the laundry "but that's it... that's all i'm doing!" he talks a good game, but when we finally pulled ourselves off the couch at 11am we both just went to town, in a rhythm that pretty much just flows seemlessly.

By about 3:00p the whole house was cleaned and I switched out my winter clothes for my summer wardrobe-- the beauty of having a smaller house! :)

Next it was time for errands- library, grocery store, nail salon (Mother's Day gift certificate), HomeGoods (for a much needed second hamper), and the liquor store.

After all the groceries were put away, it was time for some relaxation (and more CD burning and ipod updating). Taco Night and the Darlington Race were on the docket for the night. Just what needed after expending all that elbow grease all day.

Sunday
Sunday is usually a little more low-key (if Saturday was the designated cleaning day). I try to go for a walk and usually plan and cook at least a couple meals to have on hand for the week. Then some TV and knitting at night, aiming to get in bed at a reasonable hour to start the week off right- though usually bedtime is around 10p on Sundays.

This Sunday...

Woke up at 8am. Sleepy. Took awhile to get into a functional state. I made oatmeal and Dan made eggs and bacon. We usually have the same breakfast, but I wanted to get ahead on my cooking for the week.

After some internet catch-up with my friends, it was ice cream time. I was trying a new recipe in honor of Mother's Day- banana ice cream, my mom's favorite which they only have at one local place now and its not all that convenient to get to.

Once that was prepped I took a walk. Only about 4 1/2 miles. I wasn't in the walking zone at all. But I pushed through it. Jodi Picoult's Nineteen Minutes (audiobook) entertaining me.

Leftover tacos for lunch. Put the ice cream in the machine to churn. Then headed out to Shaw's for some more sugar (for the vanilla batch) and soda for the fam. Once all that was done, I crashed hard. Dan let me sleep until 5:00 and then told me to get up. My parents and Gram would arrive within the half hour... or as it turned out, 5 minutes later. Oops! Luckily most things were already done and we just went with it.

We looked at Grammy's pictures and talked... dinner was salad, chicken and steak, risotto (mom's request) and asparagus.

Jeff, Melissa, Riley and Garret came for dessert. Riley having proudly learned to say "Happy Mother's Day" though clearly not quite grasping the concept... we had a cake and she wanted candles, so we indulged her. I put 3 candles on the cake. "One for each Mother present," I explained "Mom, Grammy and Grammy Jean." Riley turns to her right (where my dad was standing) and says "And Pepere!"

The gang left around 9p. Dan and I finished the dishes and settled back into the couch. Watched some TV and I knitted- eventually moving to the bedroom (where the heating pad for my shoulder lives), and watched Gray's Anatomy and Oprah.

It was a great night and a great weekend. One of the best in a long time. As much as I look forward to parties and movies and going out with friends and family- sometimes a weekend at home is just what I need.

No comments: