I take full advantage of our local library. I love it there. They are open until 9p on weeknights and on Saturday AND Sunday (except the weekend), which makes it easy for me to get there... I request everything online. They email me when its ready to be picked up and I have 7 long days to get my busy self over there to retrieve it. I can renew things online... super simple.
And the ladies at the library are wonderful. There's a woman, probably in her early 30's, Kristen, who's super sweet. She asks what recipes I'm making this week or what I'm knitting. And there's an older, grandmotherly type who offered to help me with my knitting if I run into problems and who always asks what my latest project is. I look forward to their kind hellos and their interest in my personal life. Talk about going above and beyond the call of duty!!
So yes, I love it at the Scituate Public Library. It's a little out of my way, but totally worth the drive. Or when I need to get in a 9 mile walk, I walk there, use their bathroom and bubbler and then make my way home :) Full service!
And here is a list of what I've been into these days...
Handle with Care. Jodi Picoult [audiobook]
- First time "read." I have the hardcover book too, that my cousin had signed for me by the author-- but the audiobook allowed me to knit while listening... someday I'll read it in print too! Amazing book. About a kid with Aspergers Syndrome who is on trial for murder. A very well researched look into the lives of kids affected with this disorder, and of course a real page turner.
- I've read this novel before. Like all of Jodi Picoult's books, I get completely wrapped up in the characters. Looking at things from angles I've never considered before. I hadn't thought that I wanted to "re-read" this one since its a very dark subject (a school shooting) but despite some of the gloom I'm still fascinated.
Songs of the Humpback Whale. Jodi Picoult [audiobook]
- Just finished this one. Another of Jodi's that I wouldn't have put in my top 3... but I take what the library can get me (I love anything free)... still I was really moved by this book too. I loved the writing style. Most of the characters tell the story in chronological order except for one character who remembers things from the end back to the beginning. A very interesting perspective.
Here in America's Test Kitchen. John Burgoyne
- Cookbook from the television show America's Test Kitchen. My friend Kim turned me on to their magazine- Cook's Illustrated (which I also borrow from the library) and to this show. They test recipes out many many times and come up with the best formulas! Great information.
Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang. Chelsea Handler
- Chelsea Handler's comedy was recommended to me by my friend Jill, so I put in the request from the library. It was due back (overdue actually) before I finished the whole thing but it was definitely amusing. In fact, because of this book, when my friend Sheri asked me if I wanted to go to her show at the Melody Tent this summer I said "sure!"
Next on my audiobook list:
Pigs in Heaven. Barbara Kingsolver
Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult (have already read this once... but I'm sure I'll enjoy it a second time.
No Idle Hands: The Social History of American Knitting. Anne MacDonald. [audiobook]
The Lost Symbol. Dan Brown [audiobook- just got the email for pick up TODAY!!]Other favorite reads this year:
In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto. Michael Pollan.
The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals. Michael Pollan.
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life. Barbara Kingsolver.
The Unhealthy Truth: How Our Food Is Making Us Sick and What We Can Do About It. Robyn O'Brien.
Real Food: What To Eat and Why. Nina Planck.
World Without End. Ken Follett (reread: excellent audiobook)
Why We Suck: A Feel Good Guide to Staying Fat, Loud, Lazy and Stupid. Denis Leary. [audiobook- read by Denis Leary himself. really funny!]
No comments:
Post a Comment