This time last year I was recovering the in Same Day Surgery PACU here at MGH. That seems like eons ago at this point, but when I looked at the calendar (thinking it was June 4th), I realized it was in fact today. I had a small lump removed from my right breast, not knowing at that point what that 2cm mass was comprised of.
Here are my blog entries for that day and the day after if you missed them the first time around.
So let me take this time to do a quick Public Service Announcement- if you are a woman, please do your monthly self-exam! Here's some info from Susan G. Komen about how to do it properly. I know it seems silly but that's how I found my lump.
I was fortunate in that my lump was totally benign and nothing to worry about- news the doctor called me with on my birthday a week later. "I hope they looked at your birthday in your file and thought only to call you if it was good news" my Grandmother told me when I called her... I doubt they looked, but regardless the news was good. I am one of the lucky ones. I won't lie, it was scary, but I think I knew deep down that things would be fine in the end, regardless of what it took to get there.
But there are millions of women out there who see that lump on the ultrasound machine and aren't as lucky as I was. And its for them that I'm walking again this year. The Susan G. Komen for the Cure 3 Day Event in Boston is July 23-25th. I know its going to be a zillion degrees, but I am looking forward to fully participating in the event this year along with my dear friend Jessica.
If you are interested in making a donation you can click here to find my fundraising page. Or if you'd like to be a cheerleader that weekend, you can contact my mom, Diane Lassonde, who will be organizing a Cheering Station at the event (which will be a LOT of fun).
My fundraising page doesn't indicate it just yet, because I need to send in the rest of my donations, but I have hit the minimum of $2300 which I need in order to participate- so thank you all for your support thus far. And thank you for continuing to support me in this great adventure.
No comments:
Post a Comment