Thursday, May 13, 2010

28 Days Until I Turn 30

Some of My Favorite Recipes Right Now
-click on the recipe title for a link to the recipe and instructions.

Breakfast

Baked Oatmeal
This is a staple for breakfast these days. I generally make it on Sunday night and then portion it out for the week. In the morning (at work), I add some skim milk and pop it into the microwave. 1:45 later I've got a hot, homecooked breakfast.

I used to get oatmeal in the cafeteria here but after making my own I can't even stomach that mush anymore- it has literally NO flavor except for the cinnamon and brown sugar. Blech. And I was wasting a lot of paper cups and plastic lids that way. Bringing my reusable containers from home gives me far more peace of mind.

Lunch/Dinners

Vegetarian Chili
My friend Megg gave me this recipe and I absolutely love it. Throw everything in a crockpot and let it go for the day. Then 'voila' dinner for the week (and then some) is done. Serve with some cheese and ideally some cornbread.. Delicious!! And so healthy.

Crockpot Risotto
Another easy peasy dish. It comes out a little more porridgey this way but its still delicious. In the winter months I'll make this one crock pot and cut up root veggies with some olive oil in another and then eat them together. So delish!



Asian Summer Salad


This was the recipe the Pampered Chef consultant made at my first PC party about 7 years ago and I've loved it ever since. You can make it vegetarian or not. Very versatile- and it tastes better each day it marinates!



Ricotta Stuffed Zucchini

I haven't made these in awhile either and now I'm craving it. Surprisingly filling for a pure vegetarian meal. So yummy!


Some of the staples I make all the time require no recipes...


Many weeks (in the warmer months) I buy zucchini/summer squash, eggplant, red/green peppers and sweet potato and cook them all up-- in a skillet or in the oven (depending on time). From there I'll add the other flavors (to the whole batch or to an individual serving). Sometimes I'll mix them with pasta or quinoa, tomato sauce and some cheese. Or I'll mix in a packet of Taco Seasoning and other spices and eat with rice and black beans or in a whole wheat tortilla with guacamole and some jack cheese. Or I'll use these as a topping on a veggie burger (goes especially well with some guac spread on there too).


Snacks

Granola
I'm realizing I haven't made this in a few months, but its super simple and makes for a great snack. Throw some in a baggie or a container and keep it in your purse. Instant snack time on the go!


Party Treats

White Sangria
My favorite party drink. Always a hit!

Fruit Salsa

A delicious summer party treat. Serve with cinnamon pita chips and your guests will go crazy!

No comments: